Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Alpha Clause

Woof Woof

Throughout the pack hierarchy in many species you notice a certain level of fear and superiority.  This translates well into the inter species relationships, but there is always this  tension ready to escalate at any given moment of weakness.  Just one moment of being defenseless can end the rule of the alpha.

You are probably questioning my reasons for writing this so far.  Well, patience: We have noticed that Blue & Indy change their roles every day almost.  Even though while they play they might seem as equals, these little things regarding toys and attention bring out the "dog day" leaders out.  One would usually let the other one assume control of everything while being assertive and waiting for a chance to get his turn.  If, the leader, realizes that his toy is in play he might just reclaim it back and live it there alone by asserting his paws across it.

Indy does this the most: while chewing on one bone he would cover the other bone with his paw and it would be unattainable for Blue.

But this is the real reason of my post: We, as humans, and as per Ceaser Millan are meant to be pack leaders: the Alphas.

I consider myself to be one and it can cause quite a problem.  At first, I thought that Indy was just playing and that I lured him to me by accident but the countless acts can not be just coincidence.

Indy is trying to take my crown:  As soon as I sit on the floor or lay, as I like to do (Florida heat- cold tiles) he would start his dominance "dance".  He would air hump, bite, pull, and render me motionless.  But then again, I'm twice as heavy as he is and hopefully with much more muscle so I can push him off.  It is this look in his eyes and the constant need to put me in my place that had me thinking.

I find it cute and natural.  It is in the pack's best interest to be led by the strongest and it doesn't bother me that he does it.  It just goes to show that even though as we may be born as "Tabula Rasa" we still inherit something that it is crucial for survival.
Woof Woof OUT

No comments:

Post a Comment