Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Why do dogs bark?

First of all, dogs are no the only barkers in existence.  Deers, certain birds, monkeys and of course wolves do it too.  Thanks to my iPhone, and the Discovery News App, I've read this fantastic article on the latest thought regarding their vocalization.
Many of us think that we speak dog, me included, because our dogs would bark and whine when they want something.  According to this article that may not be necessarily true.

” In the researchers’ view, however, barking is not 
a special form of communication between dogs and humans.
“What we’re saying is that the domestic dog does not
have an intentional message in mind, such as,
‘I want to play’ or ‘the house is on fire, 
rather, barking is the auditory signal associated 
with an evolved behavior known as mobbing, 
a cooperative anti-predator response usually initiated 
by one individual who notices an approaching intruder’

If you would like to read the article here it is: 
http://blogs.discovery.com/news_animal/2009/07/why-dogs-bark.html 

Many of us will object:  But my dog looks at me and barks at 5:30pm for me to make him some dinner.  Husbands and boyfriends do not count here so let's stay focused.  

Dogs learn cues: what to do to grab your attention.  If its jumping at you, licking you, grabbing your favorite stuff and then running or away or simply barking they will do it. 

Here is a video of a dog that Blue, Indy and I just watched.  Hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment